Downward facing dog ( adho mukh svanasana)
The downward facing dog or the adho mukh svanasana is a beginner’s yoga. This pose look similar to dog when it bends forward. The best thing about this pose is it’s very easy for beginners. This pose has amazing benefits that’s why it’s essential to practice everyday. The preparatory pose for downward facing dog is standing forward bend (uttanasana).
- Stand on four limbs in such a way that your body forms table like structure.
- Exhale and lift your hips up, and straighten your knees and elbows.
- Ensure that your body form an inverted ‘v’.
- Draw your stomach to your spine.
- Your feet should be in line with your hips and your hands should be in line with your shoulders. Your toes should point outwards.
- Now press your hands on the ground, and lengthen your neck. Try to touch your chin to your collar bone and your ears to your inner arms and gaze your navel.
- Hold the pose for 10-15 seconds in the beginning.
- To release the pose bend your knees and come back back to the table pose.
- This pose is very good for your abdomen. It strengthen the abdomen muscles and supports the spine.
- The downward facing dog improves the blood circulation. It’s a kind of inversion pose. As you lift your hips up and draw your head down it flows fresh blood to the body.
- It’s helpful in reducing weight.
- It’s very good stretching exercise. It strengthen the whole body, the hips legs, knees, legs, arms, hands, neck, shoulders, waist.
- The pose improves digestive system.
- It tones the hands and feet. And also tones limbs and prepare them for balance.
- It reduces anxiety and stress.
Contradiction / Precautions :-
- Those who has problem in eye capillaries or detached retina, you should avoid practicing it or consult your doctor.
- Pregnant women should do it without deepening the stretch or consult your doctor.
- Patient of high blood pressure or diarrhea should not practice this pose.
- If you have problem in your shoulder, either injury or pain then avoid practicing the pose till recovery.
Actress Priya Mohane
Facebook page- Yog Kriya By Priya
Instagram – being_a_soul
E-mail id- [email protected]