Bhujangasana (Cobra pose): Cobra pose or Bhujangasana is beginner’s pose. This pose is called cobra pose because the style of the Cobra is same when it lifts itself upward. Practicing this pose brings flexibility to the spine just like a cobra. This pose is very good for girls as it helps in relieving menstrual problems. It helps in reducing belly fat also. Check down below Bhujangasana Steps, Benefits, and Precautions.
Bhujangasana Steps :
- Lie on your stomach on your mat. Keep your face down on the floor and legs extended behind you. Let your feet rest on the floor.
- Place your hands under your shoulders with the fingers pointing towards the mat. Keep your elbows into the sides of your body.
- Spread your toes. Press down through the top of your feet and your pubic bone.
- Press your palm on to the floor. Inhale and lift your head and chest off the floor. Keep your lower ribs on the floor.
- Keep your shoulder back and your shoulders should be dropped away from your ears.
- Bring your gaze towards the sky or if you are a beginner and not flexible enough to gaze towards the sky, keep your gaze on the floor.
- Straighten your hands slowly, lift your chest off the floor. Press the tops of your thighs on the floor. This is low cobra pose.
- You should not let your weight on your hands. Your hands should feel as light as you can even you can lift your palms off the floor for few seconds.
- For high cobra, Pose straighten your hands as much as you can, without any straining. While straightening your hands maintain a connection of the front of your pelvis and legs with the floor.
- Press your shoulder blades into your upper back actively. Your elbows should be hugged into your sides. The length of your backbend should be distributed evenly through your entire spine.
- Hold the pose for 10-15 seconds.
- To release the pose exhale and slowly bring your chest and forehead down to the floor. Turn your head to right or left and let your head on rest. Relax your arms alongside your body. Breath normally.
- Repeat the pose 5 times in the beginning.
Bhujangasana Benefits :
- The cobra pose increases flexibility, especially in your spine.
- It stretches the muscles in the shoulder, chest and abdominal.
- It strengthens the arms, shoulders, and spine.
- It decreases stiffness in the lower back.
- It tones the abdomen and balances hormones and improves menstrual irregularities.
- It tones the buttocks and makes them firm.
- It improves blood circulation and digestion.
- It soothes sciatica and ease symptoms of asthma.
- It opens the chest and helps to clear the passage of heart and lungs.
Bhujangasana Contradiction / Precautions :
- Avoid full forward bend if you have a lower back problem.
- If you have an injury in arms and shoulders, avoid practicing the pose.
- Pregnant women are not allowed to practice this pose.
- Avoid Bhujangasana Steps if you have these problems.
Actress Priya Mohane
Facebook page – Yog Kriya By Priya
Instagram – being_a_soul
E-mail id- [email protected]