Head of the knee pose (Janu sirsasana)
Head of the knee pose or Janu sirsasana is an intermediate pose. It includes both forward fold and a twist. The preparatory poses for head of the knee pose are such as child pose (balasana). Tree pose (vrakshasana). Cobbler’s pose (baddha konasana) ,Standing Forward bend (uttanasana).
- Sit straight in staff pose (dandasana), bend your left knee towards ceiling. Keep your heel close to your hip.
- Now hold the left foot with your left hands and turn the knee towards left side while pressing the sole of your left foot against inner right thigh.
- Keep your right leg and torso facing the right leg. Your right foot toes should point towards ceiling.
- Inhale and lift your hands up, over your head. Also lift your torso up.
- Exhale and bring your body forward, hold your right feet with your hands.
- Lift the front of your torso and chest,as you press the front of your right thigh into the floor.
- Turn your abdomen to your right, keeping the left knee down.
- Hold your right wrist with your left hand, if you can. Your left inner thigh should be be lengthening towards the left knee and descending as you extend over your right leg.
- Roll the left rib side towards the floor and move them to the right to broaden the right side rib cage.
- Relax your neck as you look down and rest your forehead on your shin.
- Hold for 15-20 seconds and more if you can.
- To release the pose inhale and raise your arms overhead and come back to staff pose slowly. Repeat the same on other side.
- It improves digestion.
- It stimulates the liver and kidney.
- It stretches spine, shoulders, hamstrings and groins.
- It calms the brain and relieve mind depression.
- It helps in relieving the menopause symptoms.
- It helps in getting rid of high blood pressure, insomnia and sinus problem.
- It strengthen the back muscles.
- It brings flexibility to your neck, shoulder, arms, legs, knees, thighs.
- Patient of asthma and diarrhea should not practice this pose.
- Those who has Knee injury should not flex knee completely.
- If you are not able to reach the foot, you can tie a belt or use a strap to hold. Be aware of not stretching or pulling your foot up.
- Pregnant lady should practice it without bending forward, and only till second trimester.
Actress Priya Mohane
Facebook page – yog kriya by Priya
Instagram – being_a_soul
E-mail id – [email protected]