The Gate pose (Parighasana)
Gate pose or parighasana is a beginner’s pose. It’s a basic yoga pose but It prepares your body to perform intermediate and advanced level yoga poses later. The preparatory poses of gate pose are such as downward dog pose (adho mukh svanasna). Cobbler’s pose (baddha konasana) , wide leg forward bend pose(prasarita padottanasana), wide angle seated forward pose(upvistha konasana),extended triangle pose (utthita trikonasana). Reclining head -to -big-toe pose(supta padangusthasana) .
- Kneel on the floor. Stretch your right leg to your right side and press the foot on the floor. Your left knee should be kneel directly below your left hip, so the thigh is perpendicular to the floor.
- Align your right heel to with the left knee. Turn your pelvis towards slightly right, so the left hip point come forward of the right. Turn your upper torso back to the left.
- Turn your right feet out, so your knee cap points towards the ceiling.
- Inhale and bring your arms out to your sides, keeping them parallel to the floor and palms facing down.
- Bend towards your right side, over the plane of right leg and touch either your shin,ankle or the floor outside the right leg.
- Keep your left hand on your outer left hip and push your pelvis towards the floor.
- Now inhale and lift your left arm slowly over the back of your left ear, passing through your left ribs and shoulder.
- Turn your face slightly towards your left arm and gaze at a point softly.
- Hold the pose for 10-15 seconds in the beginning.
- To release the pose turn your face in front, bring your arms down and. Kneel on the floor with both the knees and then repeat the same with left leg.
- This asana stimulates the lungs and abdominal organs.
- It stretches the sides of torso and spine
- It opens the shoulders.
- It stretches the hamstrings.
Contradiction /Precautions :-
- If you have knee injury don’t practice the pose by kneeling on floor. You can try doing it on 2 folded blankets. Or the injury is serious,than consult your doctor.
- Be careful if you have ankle injury, hip injury.
Actress Priya Mohane
Facebook page-Yog Kriya by Priya
Instagram – being_a_soul
E-mail id – [email protected]