Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose) – The bridge pose or setu bandha sarvangasana is a beginner’s pose. It is very helpful in reducing stomach fat and tone your hips and thighs. Good for girls, as it relieves the discomfort of mensuration. The preparatory poses for bridge pose are such as hero pose (virasana), downward facing dog (adho mukh svanasana). Cobra pose (bhujangasana).
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose) Steps :
- Lie on your back on mat. You can place a folded blanket under your shoulder to protect your neck.
- Bend your knees and set your feet on the floor. Your knees should point towards the ceiling. Keep your heels Close to your sitting bones.
- Exhale and press your inner feet and arms into the floor actively. Push your tailbone upward towards the pubis, firming buttocks and lift them off the floor.
- Your inner feet and thighs should be parallel to each other.
- You can simply keep your palms on the floor by your sides or can clasp them below your pelvis and extend through your arms. This will help you to stay on the top of your shoulders.
- Lift your buttocks until your thighs are about parallel to the floor. Your knees should be placed directly above your heels and push them forward away from your hips. Lift your pubis towards the navel.
- Keep your chin slightly away from your sternum and firm your shoulder blades against your back. Firm your outer arms and broaden shoulder blades. Try to lift the space between them at the back of your neck up into the torso.
- To deepen the pose, when you are into the pose, lift your heels off the floor and push your tailbone up, a little closer to your pubis. You can stretch your heels back to the floor again.
- Hold the pose for 10-15 seconds.
- To release the pose, bring your hands at your sides. Exhale and lower your spine slowly on the floor.
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose) Benefits :
- Bridge pose stretches the neck, chest and spine.
- It improves digestion and stimulates metabolism.
- It helps in getting rid of menopause symptoms.
- It calms the mind and relieve mild depression and headache.
- It stimulates abdominal organs, lungs and thyroid.
- It reduces anxiety, stress, fatigue ,backache and insomnia.
- This pose is therapeutic for osteoporosis, sinusitis, high blood pressure and asthma.
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose) Contractions /Precautions :
- If you have neck injury don’t practice this pose.
- Consult your doctor if you have back injury.
Actress Priya Mohane
Facebook page – Yog Kriya By Priya