Supta padangusthasana (Reclining hand-to-big-toe-pose)
Reclining hand-to- big-toe-pose or supta padangusthasana is a beginner’s yoga pose. Being a basic pose also, this pose is little tough to perform without strap. You have to use a strap for this pose. Once you become enough flexible to perform it by using your hand instead of strap, then you can practice it by holding your foot with two of your fingers. That is the advanced version of the pose. The preparatory poses for Reclining hand-to-big-toe-pose are such as downward dog pose (adho mukh svanasana) , cobbler’s pose (baddha konasana). (Uttanasana).
- Lie down on your bag, on the mat. Keep your legs straight. Rest your hands at your sides. Keep your toes pointing the ceiling. Press your heels on the floor.
- Exhale and pull your right knee towards your chest. Now loop a strap around the arch of the right foot. If you are able to do it without strap, use two fingers and hook them on to the big toe.
- Now straighten and stretch your right leg up towards the ceiling. Your arms should be straight and shoulders should press the floor.
- Push and extend your left leg on the floor. Press the left thigh down to the floor with left hand.
- Hold the pose for 5 breaths and deepen the stretch. Keep focusing on deepening the stretch. Practice the pose according to your limits, don’t force your body.
- Release the pose by bending elbows and knees slowly. Bring your hands to your sides. I and repeat the pose on second side.
- Reclining hand-to-big-toe-pose is very good for knees. It makes knees strong.
- It improves digestive system by stimulating the digestive organs.
- The pose stretches and strengthen the hips, thighs, calves,legs, knees and hamstrings.
- It stimulates prostate glands.
- It eased backache, sciatica and menstrual discomforts.
Contradiction/ Precautions :-
- If you have headache or diarrhea problem avoid practicing it.
- If you have blood pressure problem, use a folded blanket below your head, to raise your head little up.
Actress Priya Mohane
Facebook page-yog Kriya by Priya
E-mail id- [email protected]