Urdhva Mukh Svanasana (Upward Facing Dog) – Urdhva Mukh Svanasana or Upward Facing Dog is a beginner’s yogasana. It brings flexibility to your spine and upper body. The preparatory poses for upward facing dog are such as cobra pose (bhujangasana), Bridge pose (setu bandha sarvangasana).
Urdhva Mukh Svanasana (Upward Facing Dog) Steps :
- Lie on your stomach. Keep your hands at your sides and tops of the feet on the floor. Bend your elbows and spread your palms on the floor beside your waist so that your forearms perpendicular to the floor.
- With a inhale press your inner hands firmly into the floor, straighten your arms and simultaneously lift your torso up and your legs a few inches of the floor.
- Keep your thighs firm and turned little inward. Your arms should be firm and turned out so the elbow creases face forward.
- Press your tailbone towards the pubis and lift the pubis towards the navel. Keep your buttocks firm but do not harden.
- Keep your shoulder blades firm against the back. Inhale and lift through the top of your sternum but without pushing the front ribs forward, it hardens the lower back.
- From here either look straight ahead or lift your head up slightly. Be ensure not to harden the throat and compress the back of the neck.
- Hold the pose for 10-15 seconds.
- To release the pose exhale and lower your body on the floor, or get into downward facing dog (adho mukh svanasana).
Urdhva Mukh Svanasana (Upward Facing Dog) Benefits :
- Upward facing dog pose improves posture.
- This pose firms the buttocks.
- This pose is helpful in relieving mild depression, fatigue and sciatica.
- It stretches the shoulders, chest, lungs and abdomen.
- It strengthen the spine, arms and wrist.
- It stimulates the abdominal organs.
- It is therapeutic in asthma.
Urdhva Mukh Svanasana (Upward Facing Dog) Contradiction / Precautions :
- If you have back injury, avoid practicing this pose.
- Pregnant women should not practice this pose.
- Those who are suffering from headache should not practice this pose.
- Patient of carpal tunnel syndrome should not practice this pose.
Actress Priya Mohane
Facebook page – Yog Kriya By Priya