Warrior 2 pose (Virbhadrasana)
Warrior 2 pose or Virbhadrasana is a beginner’s pose. It’s a standing pose that enhances strength, stability and concentration. It is named after Hindu mythological Warrior. The preparatory poses for Warrior 2 pose are such as mountain pose(tadasana). Tree pose (vrakshasana). Extended triangle pose (Utthita trikonasna), cobbler’s pose (baddha konasana),Reclining hand-to-big-toe-pose (supta padangusthasana).
- Stand straight in mountain pose (tadasana). exhale and step or lightly jump out your feet around 3 1/2 or 4 feet apart from each other.
- Rotate your torso towards right side.
- Now turn your right foot 90 degrees to your right and left foot 45 to 60 degrees to the right. Align your right heel to the center of your left foot.
- Lift through the arches of your feet, while rooting down through the ankles.
- Raise your arms to the sides of your shoulder. Be sure that your arms are parallel to the floor and should be aligned directly over your legs. Your palm should be facing down, reach actively finger tip to finger tip.
- Exhale and bend your right knee down. Align your knee directly over the ankle of your right foot.
- Your front shin should be perpendicular to the floor. Sink your hips low, eventually bringing your front thigh parallel to the floor.
- Press down through the outer edge of your back foot, and keep your back leg straight.
- Keep your torso perpendicular to the floor, with your head directly over your tailbone. Don’t lean towards the front leg.
- Turn your head to gaze out across the tip of your right middle finger. Broaden across your collarbones and lengthen the space between your shoulder blades. Drop your shoulders and lift your chest.
- Draw your belly in towards your spine. Keep your torso open, not towards the front leg.
- Hold the pose for 15-20 seconds in the beginning.
- To release the pose inhale and press down through your back foot and straighten your front leg. Lower your arms. Turn in front reversing the position of your feet.
- Repeat the same at another side.
- This pose stretch the legs, groins and chest.
- Warrior 2 pose increases stamina.
- It stimulates healthy digestion.
- It helps in relieving back ache.
- It is an hip opening pose, that strengthen the muscles in the thighs and buttocks.
- It tones the abdomen, ankles and arches of the feet.
- It is also known to be therapeutic for sciatica, infertility, osteoporosis and flat feet.
- It increases concentration.
- It also opens chest and shoulders and improves breathing capacity.
Contradiction /Precautions :-
- If you have shoulder, knee or hip injury don’t practice this pose.
- Don’t practice the pose if you have high blood pressure problem or diarrhea.
- Keep your head neutral, if you have neck injury.
Actress Priya Mohane
Facebook page-Yog kriya by Priya
Instagram – being_a_soul
E-mail id- [email protected]