Wide legged forward bend pose (Prasarita padottanasana)
The wide legged forward bend pose or Prasarita Padottanasana is a beginner’s pose. It is a full body stretching pose. This pose is very good for skin and hairs as forward bending poses improve blood circulation and circulate blood to brain. Practice this pose helps in performing headstand (intermediate level pose). The preparatory poses for wide legged bend pose are such as downward facing dog (adho mukh svanasana), standing forward bend pose (uttanasana), Reclining (supta baddha konasana)
- Stand in mountain pose (tadasana) on your mat. Slightly jump or step 31/2 to 4 feet apart. Keep your feet parallel to each other.
- Exhale and lean the torso forward from the hip joints. Keep your torso parallel to floor and press your fingertips or palm onto the floor directly below your shoulders.
- Use the arms to pull the forehead down towards the floor, bending the elbows towards the back wall.
- Your arms and legs should be perpendicular to the floor and parallel to each other.
- Press the feet on the floor, lengthening the legs to press the hips up towards the ceiling.
- When you press your head down and lift the hips up, feel that your spine is pulled in opposite direction.
- Stay in the pose for 10-15 seconds.
- To release the pose press your palm or fingertips on to the floor and slightly lift your torso up, parallel to the floor, bring your hands on your hips. Pull tour tailbone down towards the floor and raise your torso up slowly. Come back into mountain pose.
- This pose strengthens and stretches the inner and back legs, and spine.
- It relieves the mild backache.
- Tones abdominal muscles.
- And also calms the brain.
- This pose therapeutic for mild depression, headache and fatigue.
Contradiction / Precautions :-
- If you have lower back problem then don’t perform complete forward bend. Bend only according to your capacity.
- Avoid practicing the pose if you have serious injury in neck, arms or shoulders.
Actress Priya Mohane
Facebook page-Yog Kriya by Priya
Instagram – being_a_soul
E-mail id- [email protected]